Take a research issue you are currently tackling in your doctoral studies; or if you don’t have one, then create one related to a research or industry problem of interest. An example in the healthcare economics space could be exploring the effects of the Covid-19 pandemic on the textile industry in China, relative to the reported impact of the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic.
For this week’s assignment, you must create a MySQL database to capture the fields (variables of interest) needed to analyze and report on your topic. You will need at least three tables with 3 to 5 fields in each table.
Using MySQL Workbench, perform the following tasks:
- Create a new schema named mydatabase (leave Default Charset and Default Collation as is).
- Create at least three tables for your database with the appropriate attributes (fields) to meet the needs of the selected topic.
- No two tables should contain duplicate fields that would essentially capture the same data unless the field is a primary or foreign key field (i.e., a unique identifier used to link two tables together, such as a customer ID, or social security number).
- Use a variety of data types for your fields, with at least one string type, one numeric type, and one date/time type.
- Put at least 3 rows of sample data into each table.
- Generate a diagram of your database by going to Database à Reverse Engineer (leave default settings). Select Continue, then select the mydatabase schema, then execute. Then, save the diagram as mydatabase.mwb and take a screenshot of the entire schema diagram.
- Paste the screenshot of your schema into a new Word document. Please be sure to add a standard assignment title page at the beginning of your Word document and a 1 to 2-paragraph description of your business.
- Submit your schema diagram file (with entity-relationships shown or drawn in; a screenshot of this or the file in picture format), screenshots of your tables with data (run select query on the tables and take a screenshot of the results).
Length: The number of pages varies with screenshots.
The completed assignment should address all of the assignment requirements, exhibit evidence of concept knowledge, and demonstrate thoughtful consideration of the content presented in the course.