1) leadership invites colleagues at the same level to solve problems together.
2) Planning involves which of the following?
Implementing necessary changes
Determining rewards for goals achievement
Analyzing current situations
3) Globaltech, a computer software company, is in the process of eliminating hierarchy levels in the organization. Globaltech has carefully analyzed all of the positions in the company and strategically determined which positions to keep. It plans to protect its most talented people and help the others with special attention. Globaltech is beginning to?
develop a new information system.
complete its retirement plan.
avoid cyclical hiring.
4) Two out of three companies said they had broadened their diversity programs recently as a result of
Potential or actual discrimination lawsuits.
Decreased cultural distinctions.
5) _________ trends regarding how people think and behave have major implications for management of the labor force, corporate social actions, and strategic decisions about products and markets.
6) Advances in genetic engineering and biotechnology are expected to produce some food products that will become available year-round even in northern climates. These changes will provide grocers with an opportunity to reduce their shipping costs while at the same time, offering fresher produce to their customers. These advances are an example of changes in the
7) An organization with departmentalization that groups units around products, customers, or geographic regions is called a
8) The correspondence between actions and words that include characteristics such as honesty and credibility is known as
knowledge of the business
9) _______ is specifying the goals to be achieved and deciding in advance the appropriate actions needed to achieve those goals.
10) Tactical planning would include which of the following?
Human resources requirements
Return on investment
Design, test, and install the equipment needed to produce a new product line
11) An aspect of the organization’s internal environment created by job specialization and the division of labor is called
division of labor
12) An evaluation of the effectiveness and efficiency of various systems within an organization is called a(n):
13) Your manager is speaking to a group of employees about a problem in your department. Employees are not complying with the rules regarding clocking in and clocking out each day. The rules in this situation are very important as employees will not receive their correct pay if the clocking procedures are not followed. There are three suggestions being considered to address this problem.
1. Employees will be monitored at the entrance during shift changes to make sure that each complies with the procedure.
2. Reports will be reviewed at the end of each pay period. The reports will contain data tracking the number of employees not complying with the procedures each shift. Employees violating the procedure will be counseled to correct the problem.
3. A new procedure will be developed describing an easier procedure for employees to follow. Training will be conducted so that each employee knows the policy and the procedure before it is enacted.
Option 1 describes which approach to bureaucratic control?
14) Behavior that gives purpose and meaning to organizations, while envisioning and creating a positive future, is known as
15)Which of the following statements about matrix organizations is true?
A matrix organization is the same as a functional organization.
A matrix organization is considered out-of-date compared to the organic organization.
A matrix organization is a hybrid of the functional and divisional organizational forms.
A matrix organization is the same as a product organization.
16)The trait known as leadership motivation suggests that great leaders
can motivate others to work hard
can motivate others to become leaders
want to lead
can motivate others to join
17)In the study by Lawrence and Lorsch, companies in complex, dynamic environments developed _____ levels of differentiation; and _____ levels of integration.
18)Once a problem is identified and properly diagnosed, the next stage in the decision making process involves:?
Generating alternative solutions.
Evaluating the decision.
19)Giving exposure and experience in line jobs to a wide range of employees in order to make senior management positions more available to them is known as?
forming a support group.
20)Suppose you are interviewing the CEO of a large company. The CEO is telling you about his or her job as a manager and how he or she spends time. Using the description below, which function of management is the CEO most likely describing in this example? “My job, for some part of each day, is to empower our employees to think of things in new and different ways, not just to come to work and complete the tasks on a list.”
21)Your organization faces an ethical question. There has been a problem with your accounting process that has resulted in lower profits being reported than were actually earned. You are attending a meeting where senior management is deciding how to handle the situation. The people at the table have varying views of what action to take and why. John wants to report the error immediately because he believes that it is the right thing to do and that will keep them all out of jail. Bruce wants to report the error because it is the honest thing to do. After hearing his colleagues’ opinions, Carlos says he wants to report the error as well because he believes the group is right.
Carlos is using which ethical system for his decision making?
22)Leaders who relate to others to serve their needs and enhance their personal growth while strengthening the organization are known as
23)The moral principles and standards that guide behavior in the world of business are called?
24)The management function of _______________ is specifying the goals to be achieved and deciding in advance the appropriate actions needed to achieve those goals.
25)The basic goal of managing diversity is to
enhance organizational cohesiveness
understand and value employee differences
treat all people the same
increase the numbers of ethnic minorities in business
26)The targets or ends the manager wants to reach are called
27)Managers have more ________ over their subordinates than they do over their peers and bosses.
28)A leadership perspective that attempts to identify what effective leaders do and the behaviors they exhibit is referred to as the
29)Authority is defined as?
The assignment of new or additional responsibilities to a subordinate.
The procedures that link the various parts of the organization to achieve the organization’s overall mission.
The legitimate right to tell other people what to do.
The expectation that staff will take corrective action when necessary.
30)Senior managers at ZebraCorp, a manufacturer of striped leather sofas, have been working with a consultant to implement ISO9001. They have established a vision and goals, and have been working hard to establish trust with their employees. Given this scenario, ZebraCorp can be said to have strong?
information and analysis.
strategic quality planning.
process quality management.
31)The two dimensions upon which the competing-values model of culture is define are
flexibility vs. control AND internal vs. external focus of the organization.
leadership type vs. levels of hierarchy.
level of environmental scanning vs. level of environmental influence.
levels of hierarchy vs. levels of empowerment.
32)The internal analysis component of the strategic management process assesses the organization’s
product substitutions in the market
industry growth rate
33)Sports International (SI) began business by making shoes for athletes. They soon expanded into making shoes for non-athletic purposes. They now manufacture and distribute clothing, sporting equipment, and protective sports gear worldwide. They are departmentalized by products sold to serious athletes, products sold to “weekend” athletes and products sold to sports teams. SI has utilized which form of departmentalization?
34)Which of the following is a step in the decision-making process?
Delegating a task
Good business planning
Evaluating the decision
Generating an idea
35) Suppose you face a question regarding how to handle a defective piece of equipment that your company sold. To tell the customer would cost you a substantial amount of money but if the equipment fails, it could lead to serious injury of the customer. You are going to choose between three options presented by colleagues:
1. Option 1: Keeping quiet about the defect.
2. Option 2: Review company policy, industry practices, and advice from colleagues.
3. Option 3: Disclose the defect and suggest alternatives to eliminate the risk of injury.
Option 3 employs which ethical approach?