You just started working in a position as Director of HIM for an acute care facility and you discover there are no documented procedures.
1. List three of the reasons for developing a procedure for releasing health information to patients.
2. Explain the steps you would take to write a procedure for releasing health information to patients.
3. Explain how a procedure for releasing health information to patients could be used as a training tool.
You are the HIM director for a department that is going to be moved to a new area of the facility. A floor plan for the new department should include the following items:
- Office for HIM director
- Office for HIM assistant director
- Two release of information clerks
- Two scanning stations
- Four inpatient coders
- Six outpatient coders
- One tumor registrar
- Three assembly and analysis clerks
- One physician record assistant
- Four transcriptionists
- One transcription clerk
- Fax machine
- Copy machine
- Small reception area
- Dictation and record completion area for physicians
- Record review area
- Break room with table, sink, microwave, and refrigerator
1. What is a space model?
2. List three of the principles that would be used to create a space model that could lead to success in planning the new environment.
3. In addition to the floor plan, what additional details should be considered?
You are the HIM director for a department that is going to be moved to a new area of the facility. Design a floor plan for the new department. Include the following items: